Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Jacob's despair

Have you ever noticed that faith seems to get stretched to what seems like its limits just before the Lord answers prayer?
I was reading in Genesis 42 about Jacob’s sons coming back to Canaan to pick up Benjamin to convince Pharoah’s right hand man that they were telling the truth.
If I put myself in Jacob’s shoes I’m a little stressed. His favorite son (not that having a favorite is a good idea) is dead, his 2nd oldest is in prison in Egypt (as good as dead) and they are asking to take his only living son by Rachel too. Jacob’s response is my response to even much less critical and ominous life issues. “Joseph didn’t come back, Simeon is gone, and now you want to take Benjamin too! Everything has been against me.” (Gen 42:31 TLB)
Fast forward three chapters and the news was so overwhelmingly good that Jacob had difficulty taking it in. “Joseph is alive,” they shouted to him. “And he is ruler over all the land of Egypt!” (Gen 45:26 TLB)

No comments: